Sunday, December 27, 2009

Mood Indigo


'Mood Indigo' is a survival story. I had a large beautiful bush of these growing in the ground. And early last February, I made some cuttings from it. Which is a very good thing, because one spring day all of the blossoms on the bush suddenly wilted. When I went to go see why only this bush, among all the others near it, was in such distress. The bush slowly fell over and I was able to pull the remains of the base of it's trunk out of the ground with ease because a gopher had eaten all of the rest!!

So although slugs and snails are not interested in munching on fuchsias, gophers certainly are!

Those cuttings quickly grew into new bushes and the blooms you see here. This is one of those small double blossoms that I really enjoy. And I really like the color combinations on this one as it opens. It is hard to see in this photo, but the sepals have green tips and the unopened flower buds are almost as interesting as the open flowers. Absolutely one of my all time favorites.

No comments: