Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Magellanica 'molinae'


Actually, this should read "Fuchsia magellanica 'molinae' " since this is a species also, like 'Lycioides.' Except in the case of magellanica, there are many varieties of this species and it has been used to create some of the popular hybrid cultivars. This hardy upright fuchsia can grow very tall. I have seen a large bush growing all the way up to the second story window of a house! Mine has a large thick trunk on it with what I consider beautiful bark. It has a fine crumbly texture with lots of different shades of orangish brown. The hummingbirds love this bush and can usually be found hanging out on it when not in action! To me, this species is why many people call fuchsias "Angels Earings" or "Dancing Ballerinas." It can take full on hot summer sun and the occasional freeze during the winter. Mine has survived winters that killed my lantanas, hybiscus, and hydrangeas. Planted properly, it can survive harsher winters than we have here on the central coast of California. It is hard to tell from the photo, but the pink corolla to there dainty flowers have a blue or lavender flush them. I hear there were once hedges of this fuchsia all over San Francisco. So I have planted a hedge of it myself and it is doing very well. The fine foliage lends itself well to clipping.

No comments: