Thursday, May 31, 2012

White Wonder 2012

'White Wonder' also made it through the winter with almost no damage.  I was concerned because this is one of the slower growing upright fuchsias.  All the dead branches you see behind it belong to the F. boliviana which froze to ground level!  But if you look in the bottom left of the photo, you will see large furry green leaves.  Those are the new shoots coming up out of the ground from the base of the F. boliviana.
I can't tell you how relieved I was to see for myself how fuchsias can recover from being frozen to ground level.  It is also already producing flower buds and I will be making cutttings soon.
Now I can cut all of those dead canes off of it.  But I wanted to be able to take a photo of them with the new growth first.
Meanwhile, I am certainly also very happy to see 'White Wonder' doing so well!

No comments: