Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My First Camera


I won a camera when I was eight, by telling a riddle on the Mayor Art Show. It was on channel 2 in the San Francisco Bay Area, before cable! My dad and my brother were so excited that I had been invited to be on the show, that they primed me for weeks ahead of time with riddles to tell Mayor Art. If he didn't know the answer, then you got the prize of the day.
I was so stunned when he picked me out of the audience, that all I could think of was, "Why did the chicken cross the road?" A riddle I knew he knew and everyone knew!! So I was even more shocked when he pretended not to know the answer and I won the camera!
That was 1965 and I have been taking photos ever since. This is one of my favorites. My family had come to visit me where I was a live in nanny for three smalll children in Fremont, CA. At the same time, I was a full time college student with a Biochemistry major.

No comments: