Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Celia Smedley


'Celia Smedley' makes you wonder who she was, that someone would honor her by naming a flower after her! So many flowers, of all kinds, are named for individuals. My favorites are not the ones named after famous people, but people like Celia. Maybe she is or was famous. Have you ever heard of her? How about Ted Sweetman? You'll be seeing him later :-)

This one is proving to be a vigirous upright bush with large simple blossoms. I think this is going to be a big bush. At least in my zone it will. In zones where it needs to deal with freezing, one source has it listed as only reaching two feet.

It has been my experience though, that these sources are all in zones where it normally freezes. One of my goals is to eventually be able to provide information on heights and growing conditions for areas where there may be some freezing, but not usually enough to cause damage or restrict the height of upright fuchsia bushes.

No comments: